A good way to practice your singing is to train your vocalization over existing, popular instrumentals; and the best way to do that is to use a karaoke machine. Gone are the day when karaoke equipment was only reserved to bars and studios. Nowadays, these machines are relatively affordable, easy to come by, and very convenient in their operation. Not just that but the fact that you can connect most of these machines to virtually any device of your choice is definitely a big plus.
As a result of how popular these karaoke machines have become, you are bound to get an ill-equipped model if you go at it blindly, especially with all the sub-par karaoke machines that have flooded the market in recent years. What you want to do instead is to learn as much as you can about what constitutes a good karaoke machine and what features to look for when buying one. To save you the trouble, we put together a list of the ten best karaoke machines money can buy.
Best Karaoke Machines Reviews & Buying Guide
#10 Singsation Karaoke Microphone
This all-in-one karaoke machine is a pretty decent entry-level model, one that delivers roughly the same standards as machines much more expensive than this. It features colorful flashing party lights, adding a dynamic ambiance to the musical performance. For amplified sound, you can connect it to a TV and view lyrics on a more convenient screen. It also features a dual jack input, allowing the addition of a second microphone. Not only that but it is also compatible with smartphones, iPods, tablets, and almost any DC player.
- Features an all-in-one karaoke system with everything you need inbuilt into the device
- Can be connected to virtually any smartphone or tablet
- You can use it to stream your favorite songs wirelessly
- Incorporates a multi-color light module for setting up the atmosphere
- Once charged, it can last up to 4 hours
- You absolutely have to charge it completely for it to work normally
- The microphone could be a bit louder
#9 Akai KS800-BT Karaoke Machine
The Akai KS800-BT is a loaded karaoke system that gets the party going alive faster than any other such machine in this price range. It can be connected to smartphones, MP3 players, or tablets via Bluetooth to fill the room with your choice music in a greater output. An easy-use front-loading CD player lets you play your karaoke CD+G’s or your music CDs conveniently while the unit also features a USB port for added performance versatility. Moreover, a large 7-inch color screen ensures easy lyrics reading, plus the unit can also be connected to a TV for even easier viewing.
- Can play music straight from a CD or DVD player
- Features a big 7″ color display for added visibility
- Enjoys no less than 10 Watts of output power
- You can use a USB memory stick with it
- Plays pretty much all the audio formats out there
- Some discs may have compatibility issues with older formats
- The speaker is a bit too quiet
#8 VocoPro DVD-Duet
VocoPro DVD-Duet is a karaoke machine that enables you to sing along with any collection of MP3 compilations, CDG, or output DVDs to your video monitor. It also features JPEG image slideshow display capabilities for good measure. This makes it ideal for use in churches, bars, schools, or home systems if you see fit. On top of all this, the unit benefits from a series of duet features that you can employ when singing duets.
- Features a multiformat karaoke system with DVD/CD player, dual cassette deck, and AM/FM tuner systems
- Is compatible with virtually any audio formats along with JPEG slideshows
- Uses a digital key controller to alter the background music to match vocal range
- Quite a sturdy unit as far as its construction goes
- A lot of tweaks and sliders that you can use to customize your karaoke experience
- A bit large and bulky in terms of design and ease of use
- May take a bit of getting used to
#7 Karaoke USA GF839
If you need a single, portable device that can offer hours of karaoke fun, go get the Karaoke USA GF830. Among its highlights are a 7-inch color display and an integrated player that is compatible with CD+G, DVD discs, and MP3+G files through a Bluetooth connection to smart devices. The unit has 2 microphones and a functional remote control, allowing you to adjust the balance, echo, and voices more conveniently. Moreover, a 3.5mm input jack adds to the device’s connection versatility.
- Features a 7-inch TFT digital color screen
- Has a powerful 35W peak digital power amplifier
- You can use it to record voice and music mixes with instant playback capabilities
- Comes with a remote control for good measure
- Boasts two microphone inputs and holders
- The speaker is quite exposed to the environment
- Its microphones could be a bit better
#6 Singing Machine SML-283P
Available in a black or fun pink design, the SML-283P is a great pick for beginners who want to savor the fun of karaoke singing. It features a compact design and integrates a fun disco light along a convenient LED display. At the same time, it benefits from a built-in CDG player and 2 mic inputs, each complete with individual volume control, are all functional. Moreover, the unit also features an integrated speaker, auto voice, balance, and echo controls.
- Enjoys a user-friendly interface with some pretty nice features
- Next level aesthetic design boasts its good looks
- Uses a 2-digit LED display for greater visibility
- It has two microphone jacks with volume control features
- Its built-in speakers are quite decent
- It looks a bit like a toy from afar
- The outer carcass is a bit flimsy
#5 ION Audio Block Party Live
The ION Audio Block Party Live is an advanced karaoke system with a highly powerful integrated speaker to further your karaoke experience. The unit includes a great black case with functional wheels and a convenient handle for easier portability. It can be wirelessly connected to your smart device via Bluetooth and comes with a rechargeable battery that offers up to 75-hour singing time or 6-hour long entertainment with both the music and lights activated. On the unit’s top, we find a bright LED dome for creating a stunning light show when needed.
- It features a dynamic, powerful 50-Watt speaker system
- Can stream music wirelessly from any Bluetooth-enabled device
- Uses a long-lasting rechargeable battery
- Has an inbuilt telescoping handle and wheels for easy transport
- Comes with a microphone with an included power cable
- Quite expensive all things considered
- Big and quite heavy
#4 Singtrix Singtrix Party Bundle Premium #SGTX1
This is one of the few karaoke machines that tune your voice into thumping music from any smart device in real-time. It also utilizes a transformative blend of professional grade effects, making your voice feel studio-like with just the push of a button. At the same time, it allows the addition of powerful vocal harmonies plus choir effects to the voice, eliminating the need for backup singers and the like.
- Includes a natural pitch-correction and HardTune features
- Features no less than 300 unique effects for you to use
- Works with almost any YouTube karaoke & lyric videos
- Can play music from virtually any device you might own
- Uses an intuitive and user-friendly interface
- The mixer is somewhat unreliable
- Its electronic vocal correction needs a bit of getting used to
#3 Electrohome EAKAR300
Made by Electrohome, this stylish, quality karaoke speaker system delivers top-quality sound along with mesmerizing blue disco lights to further your karaoke experience. Music lovers who don’t have a big CDG music library can count on this unit to be compatible with any tablet or smartphone via its 3.5mm aux input that also enables you to access more karaoke songs online. In this respect, it is ideal for home use or to bring along when traveling on account of its portable design.
- Powerful inbuilt speaker packs quite the punch
- Includes two microphone inputs for singing duets
- Features a powerhouse voice enhancing system with several effects to choose from
- Employs an Auto Voice Control singing coach to help you improve your singing
- Can be connected to any TV through a 3.5mm aux input
- The microphone is a bit quiet
- Some CD skipping can be expected
#2 Singing Machine SML-385
The Singing Machine’s SML-385 model plays lyrics on TV and features 2 microphone inputs which recommend it for duets. It is a top-loading at its core, a model that allows easy CDs swapping and also boasts a 2-digit LED CDG track indicator, balance/echo controls, audio aux input/output, AC power operation, and auto voice adjuster for good measure. At the same time, it includes a free CDG music sampler and a pretty decent microphone.
- Uses a CDK karaoke system with disco lights with flashing party effects
- Has two microphone jacks with separate volume controls
- Its top-loading machine lets you swap CDs with ease
- Features an auto voice control with balance and echo adjustments
- Very affordable considering its versatility
- The knob can create a static noise if used too often
- Microphone volume output needs tempering for maximum reliability
#1 Singing Machine SML385BTW
The reason why the Singing Machine SML385BTW enjoys its current popularity is owed to the fact that it delivers top quality sound effects better than any other karaoke system in this price range. Besides, it has 54 LED disco lights that flash and vary colors, along with a dimmer mode which adds a certain versatility in regards to its ambiance control. With this machine, you can stream all your favorite songs with relative ease from any Bluetooth-enabled device. Furthermore, you can also download its unique Singing Machine app to gain access to up to thousands of popular karaoke songs.
- Features two microphone jacks with volume control options
- Uses a 2-digit LED display for better visibility
- Has a top-loading CDG player with a disco light effect
- Benefits from a Bluetooth Audio Streaming option and Line-in capabilities
- You can use it to add an echo or other voice effects to your singing
- The power cable port is a bit flimsy
- Its sensitive input jacks require extra care
More products also worth checking out:
Karaoke Machine Buying Guide
Modern karaoke machines incorporate all the ingenious features that old-school karaoke bars used to possess, minus the bulky equipment. As a matter of fact, all the features that used to be found only in professional studios can now be found on top-shelf, home use karaoke machines. Not to say that many of you will actually be looking for such expensive machines, but to at least give you an idea of what’s out there. Chances are, that even on a budget, you can still get your hands on a decent karaoke machine, just as long as you know what to look for. For that to happen, we should perhaps give you some pointers on what features best recommend a good karaoke machine.
The first thing you want to consider when buying a karaoke machine is the quality of its speaker(s). If the machine is good, chances are that the speaker reflects that and that it packs a decent output and fidelity. Truth be told, some of these machines can very well possess all the right features minus the speaker, but the rest of the package is usually brimming with cool features like voice effects and playback tweaking. Seeing how rowdy an average karaoke party can get, you certainly need a machine with above average speakers to have a good time.
The second most important thing in a karaoke machine is the microphone. Depending on the build, design, inbuilt technologies, and input quality, microphones can make or break a karaoke night out. While you do want a machine with a decent microphone, you shouldn’t discard an otherwise reasonable device just because the mic isn’t up to scratch. In this day and age, you can easily find a replacement microphone if you look around, sometimes at a fraction of what a professional microphone costs. That said, you definitely want the inbuilt microphone to accurately and efficiently record the sound of the singer’s voice at any given time.
If you go around looking for a karaoke machine, you are bound to find some that have inbuilt display screens. These screens can vary from basic bi-chromatic displays to complex multi-color screens with operational functions. You can, indeed, connect most karaoke machines to existing TV sets, but you cannot do that when taking the machine on the road to remote locations. If that is the case, then the machine definitely needs a display of its own for obvious reasons. Not just that but a screen can definitely help with the whole karaoke experience by giving the participants something to look at as they sing along.
Most if not all modern karaoke machines can play popular audio formats like midi, mp3, and Wav files. Some can even play music straight from online sources, CDs, DVDs, audio cassettes, or even vinyl records. It used to be that karaoke machines required CD+G discs that were quite expensive and hard to come by, whereas nowadays you can play most songs straight from YouTube or any Bluetooth-enabled device you might own.
Chances are that people with bad singing voices are a bit scared of performing live in front of an audience. Thankfully for them, some karaoke machines allow you to add voice effects in real-time so that you can slightly or totally change the singer’s voice as they sing. They can also be used to mask any mistakes the singer might make and generally improve the quality of your singing voice without making it too obvious. In this respect, some of these units also have echo effects that you can add to your voice for that live concert feel.
As we already pointed out, decent karaoke machines not only support all audio formats possible but they can also be used to stream music straight from any nearby device wirelessly. Most of them require the devices to have Bluetooth capabilities but regular aux cords are just as effective. We should also point out that some of these machines have HDMI, RCA, and stereo connections that you can use to connect to virtually any device you want.
Whether the machine has speakers of its own or you connect it to a stand-alone sound system, you definitely want the unit to deliver a decent audio output. Let us just say that a good karaoke machine should deliver no less than crystal clear sound at all times. Not only do the speakers have to be powerful enough to actually cover a reasonably large room but the quality of the output songs has to be top-notch as well. Keep in mind that PA speakers are better than stereo speakers when it comes to karaoke machines, which very few people understand for some reason.
Although many karaoke machines are mostly used indoors in a home or work environment, there are those that you can take with you when traveling or when you set up a karaoke party in a remote location. You will find that portable karaoke machines use inbuilt rechargeable batteries or adapters that you can employ to power the units from unconventional sources. Either way, bear in mind that portable karaoke machines aren’t exactly as good as larger, permanent units, although they compensate by being extremely user-friendly and easy to store.